You double-click the NeatWorks icon on the taskbar or the desktop, but NeatWorks® does not start, and you see one of the following messages:
- Missing Shortcut: Windows is searching for NeatWorks.exe. To locate the file yourself, click Browse.
- NeatWorks has stopped working.
Usually these error messages mean that NeatWorks.exe is missing or in the wrong place on your computer. To resolve this issue, follow these steps:
- Unplug your scanner from your computer and close NeatWorks.
- On the System Tray at the bottom right of your Windows taskbar, right-click Neat Quick Scan, and then click Exit.
- Click Start, click Run (Start Search on Windows Vista or Windows 7), type services.msc, and click OK.
- In the Services console, right-click NeatWorks Database Controller, and then click Stop.
- If in step 4, NeatWorks Database Controller does not exist, open the following folder:
- On a 32-bit computer: C:\Program Files\NeatWorks\exec
- On a 64-bit computer: C:\Program Files (x86)\NeatWorks\exec
- In that folder, delete all the folders and files except bin and tools.
- Open the following folder: C:\Program Files\Common Files\The Neat Company\Setup
- Right-click NeatWorks Core files, and then click Repair.
- Restart your computer.
- If there is no NeatWorks icon on your desktop or taskbar, open C:\Program Files\NeatWorks\exec, right-click NeatWorks or NeatWorks.exe, click Create Shortcut, and move the shortcut to your desktop or taskbar.
- Double-click the NeatWorks.exe shortcut on your desktop or taskbar.